Current:Home > MarketsAttorneys for 3 last-known survivors of 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre appeal dismissed reparations case -Thrive Capital Insights
Attorneys for 3 last-known survivors of 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre appeal dismissed reparations case
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 07:45:07
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Attorneys seeking reparations for three living survivors of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre filed an appeal in the case with the Oklahoma Supreme Court and said a district court judge erred in dismissing the case last month.
The appeal was filed Friday on behalf of the last known living survivors of the attack, all of whom are now over 100 years old. They are seeking reparations from the city and other defendants for the destruction of the once-thriving Black district known as Greenwood.
“For 102 years... they’ve been waiting,” said Damario Solomon-Simmons, an attorney for the three, during a press conference Monday on the steps of the Oklahoma Supreme Court building. “They’ve been waiting, just like every other victim and survivor of the massacre, for just an opportunity to have their day in court.”
Solomon-Simmons, who brought the lawsuit under Oklahoma’s public nuisance law, said he wants the high court to return the case to district court for discovery and for a judge to decide the case on its merits.
District Court Judge Caroline Wall last month dismissed the case with prejudice, dashing an effort to obtain some measure of legal justice by survivors of the deadly racist rampage. Defendants in the case include the City of Tulsa, the Tulsa Regional Chamber, the Board of County Commissioners, the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office and the Oklahoma Military Department.
A spokesperson for the City of Tulsa, Michelle Brooks, declined to comment, citing the pending litigation.
A Chamber of Commerce attorney previously said the massacre was horrible, but the nuisance it caused was not ongoing.
The lawsuit contends Tulsa’s long history of racial division and tension stemmed from the massacre, during which an angry white mob descended on a 35-block area, looting, killing and burning it to the ground. Beyond those killed, thousands more were left homeless and living in a hastily constructed internment camp.
The city and insurance companies never compensated victims for their losses, and the massacre ultimately resulted in racial and economic disparities that still exist today, the lawsuit argued. It seeks a detailed accounting of the property and wealth lost or stolen in the massacre, the construction of a hospital in north Tulsa and the creation of a victims compensation fund, among other things.
veryGood! (285)
Related
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Oklahoma panel denies clemency for death row inmate, paves way for lethal injection
- Texas wildfires: Map shows scope of devastation, learn how you can help those impacted
- Photos of male humpback whales copulating gives scientists peek into species' private sex life
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Did the moose have to die? Dog-sledding risk comes to light after musher's act of self-defense
- Court order permanently blocks Florida gun retailer from selling certain gun parts in New York
- Evidence of traumatic brain injury in shooter who killed 18 in deadliest shooting in Maine history
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Polynesian women's basketball players take pride in sharing heritage while growing game
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Virginia judge sets aside guilty verdict against former school superintendent
- Iditarod issues time penalty to Seavey for not properly gutting moose that he killed on the trail
- I don't want my president to be a TikTok influencer. Biden is wasting time making jokes.
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Oscars producers promise cameos and surprises for Sunday’s (1 hour earlier) show
- Caitlin Clark's potential WNBA contract might come as a surprise, and not a positive one
- Ukraine says it sank a Russian warship off Crimea in much-needed victory amid front line losses
Recommendation
British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
Detroit woman accused of smuggling meth into Michigan prison, leading to inmate’s fatal overdose
Here's the Republican delegate count for the 2024 primaries so far
Teen killed, 4 injured in shooting at Philadelphia city bus stop; suspects at large
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
New York City FC announces 'The Cube:' a massive, seven-story main entryway to new stadium
Coffee Mate, Dr Pepper team up to create dirty soda creamer inspired by social media trend
Saquon Barkley NFL free agency landing spots: Ranking 9 teams from most to least sensible