Current:Home > FinanceNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Thrive Capital Insights
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 11:37:15
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (4594)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- My Chemical Romance returns with ‘The Black Parade’ tour
- Father, 5 children hurt in propane tank explosion while getting toys: 'Devastating accident'
- Trump’s economic agenda for his second term is clouding the outlook for mortgage rates
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- NFL power rankings Week 11: Steelers, Eagles enjoying stealthy rises
- Father, 5 children hurt in propane tank explosion while getting toys: 'Devastating accident'
- Florida education officials report hundreds of books pulled from school libraries
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Man Found Dead in Tanning Bed at Planet Fitness Gym After 3 Days
Ranking
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul referee handled one of YouTuber's biggest fights
- Deommodore Lenoir contract details: 49ers ink DB to $92 million extension
- Ben Foster files to divorce Laura Prepon after 6 years, according to reports
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Denzel Washington Will Star in Black Panther 3 Before Retirement
- Oil Industry Asks Trump to Repeal Major Climate Policies
- DWTS' Gleb Savchenko Shares Why He Ended Brooks Nader Romance Through Text Message
Recommendation
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
Mike Tyson-Jake Paul: How to watch the fight, time, odds
NFL MVP rankings: Does Steelers QB Russell Wilson deserve any consideration?
Five best fits for Alex Bregman: Will Astros homegrown star leave as free agent?
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Wendi McLendon-Covey talks NBC sitcom 'St. Denis Medical' and hospital humor
Bev Priestman fired as Canada women’s soccer coach after review of Olympic drone scandal
Travis Kelce's and Patrick Mahomes' Kansas City Houses Burglarized